Port of Tacoma marks 95 years
The Port of Tacoma celebrates its 95th anniversary Nov. 5.
Pierce County citizens voted in 1918 to create the port district on about 240 acres of land. The first ship, the Edmore, called in March 1921.
Since then, Tacoma has grown into one of the top container ports in North America and a major gateway to Asia and Alaska. An estimated 43,000 family-wage jobs in Pierce County and 113,000 jobs across Washington state are connected to Port activities.
The Port now encompasses about 2,700 acres in the Port industrial area, with nine terminals serving international and domestic shipping lines, as well as four rail yards. The Port is also a major center for bulk, breakbulk, project/heavy-lift cargoes and automobiles.
This two-way international trade totaled more than $46 billion in 2012.