Committed to responsible and sustainable growth
We are committed to doing business in a way that protects the environment.
Environmental stewardship is integrated into all aspects of the organization, from our development activities to the ongoing operations of the Port and our customers.
We have invested millions of dollars to provide sustainable space for people, wildlife and business.
- Protecting water quality
- Cleaning up legacy contamination to put land back into productive use
- Restoring wildlife habitat
- Reducing diesel and greenhouse gas emissions
- Cleaning up land: Cleaned up legacy contamination to return more than 420 acres of property to productive use under protective measures.
- Restoring habitat: Restored more than 100 acres of critical habitat for fish and other wildlife.
- Preserving open space: Preserved more than 70 acres of open space to serve as a natural buffer between industrial operations and residential areas.
- Treating stormwater: Pioneered low-impact development technologies to treat industrial stormwater runoff.
- Renewable power: Purchase offset to support renewable green power projects in Washington and Oregon.
- Shore power: Retrofitted a marine cargo terminal to allow ships to plug into electric shore power to reduce diesel and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Clean air partnership: Developed the Northwest Ports Clean Air Strategy, in partnership with the ports of Seattle and Metro Vancouver, B.C., to reduce port-related emissions.
- Recycle and conserve: Aim to recycle 90 percent from demolition projects, and continually seek ways to conserve energy and resources.