2017 Funded Projects
In 2017, The Local Economic Development Investment Fund supported 10 projects in Pierce County. Here are some highlights:
The Washington State Historical Society’s Model Train Festival
The Washington State Historical Society’s Model Train Festival, to be held around the Christmas holiday to unite history and holiday magic.
The Town of Wilkeson’s SR 165 Adventure
The Town of Wilkeson will produce 2,500 brochures detailing a Micro-adventure through the communities of Wilkeson, Buckley, Carbonado, Burnett, and Mount Rainier National Park’s Carbon River Glacier entrance (a total route of 23 miles) focusing on the corridor’s rich mining history.
Pierce Transit Ruston Trolley extension
The Community Economic Development Investment Fund’s contribution helped extend the service of the Trolley to three Third Thursdays Art Mingle days throughout the summer of 2017.
Mt. Rainier Amphitheater Summer Concert Series
Funding for the Mt. Rainier Amphitheater Summer Concert Series extended the program to include two separate shoulder season events with music and vendors at the newly completed community facility and amphitheater.
Other projects which received funding in 2017 were:
- The Foss Waterway Seaport, to support the development of a Puyallup Tribe Museum Exhibit.
- Pierce County Public Works, to support the economic assessment of the Canyon Road East Freight Corridor.
- The Asia Pacific Cultural Center, to support the conclusion of a Business Development Plan for a new 390,000 square foot campus.
Economic development at the port occurs in direct ways, such as the development of publicly-owned marine terminals and industrial parks, as well as indirectly through community economic development investments.
Our Local Economic Development Investment Fund has an annual budget of $250,000. It is available to non-profits and municipal agencies in Pierce County, and may be used to help local jurisdictions fulfill matching requirements to receive a larger grant.
- Road and freight rail infrastructure projects that create long-term jobs
- Marine tourism infrastructure projects intended to attract tourists to Pierce County from outside locations
- Planning activities or events promoting international trade
- Planning activities or events promoting tourism intended to attract tourists to Pierce County from outside locations