With input from community members, customers, business leaders and employees, we developed a 10-year strategic plan in 2012. The plan is updated annually to provide further focus and clarity to the initiatives. We track our success through the 10 targets in 10 years.
Four areas of focus
The plan focuses on four areas that build on our specific strengths to make better connections:
We will make strategic investments that enhance the Port’s waterway, terminal, road, rail and industrial property infrastructure to create the most efficient, productive and cost-effective system possible to move our customers’ freight to the marketplace.
New business opportunities
To create opportunity for future investments, we will focus attention on attracting new business opportunities with healthy income streams and increase the diversity of the Port’s business portfolio.
We’re serious about our tagline “People. Partnership. Performance.” We will continue to demonstrate great care for our business relationships with customers and key stakeholders.
Business development, environmental stewardship and livable communities go hand in hand. We continually hear that our community’s support of the Port and trade-related jobs is a key competitive advantage. We intend to grow the Port responsibly to ensure continued trust in our collective future.
10 targets in 10 years
These specific goals measure the plan's success.
- Double container volumes to 3 million TEUs.
- Double dry bulk volumes to 12 million metric tons.
- Increase breakbulk volumes by 30 percent to 200,000 short tons.
- Increase auto imports by 20 percent to 200,000 units.
- Improve our operating margin by 30 percent.
- Increase net income by 50 percent.
- Increase return on assets by 35 percent.
- Clean up an additional 200 acres of Port-owned contaminated property to industrial standards.
- Reduce diesel pollutants from cargo operations by 85 percent from 2005 baseline.
- Increase Port-related direct jobs by 4,700 and indirect jobs by 2,000.
- Strategic Plan 2014 Update
- Strategic plan highlights
- Comprehensive Scheme of Harbor Improvements (CSHI)
- Land Use & Transportation Plan
- Shoreline Public Access Plan
- Tideflats Area Transportation Study
- 2016 Semi-Annual Project Progress Report (January-June)
- Draft Region 5 Hazard Mitigation Plan for Port of Tacoma (pending commission approval)